|H i s t o r y a n d t h e p r e s e n t d a y|
The heritage of the Agricultural University of Wroc³aw is deeply rooted in the traditions of two instutitions founded in Lvov: The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry of Lvov Polytechnic in Dublany and the Veterinary School of Medicine, founded in 1881. The post-war chapter in the history of the Agricultural University of Wroc³aw was opened in the autumn of 1945, when the Faculty of Agriculture and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine were founded at the combined University and Polytechnic, the only institution of higher education in Wroc³aw at that time. In 1951 these two Faculties were incorporated in the newly opened Higher School of Agriculture renamed the Agricultural University of Wroc³aw in 1972 and the University of Life Sciences in Wroc³aw in 2006.
At present, the Agricultural University of Wroc³aw (AUW), a well-recognised scientific and educational centre, is the only agricultural university in the south-west region of Poland. The AUW employs about 1,500 people, (160 full and associate professors). Full and part-time students (11,000) are offered a wide range of degree courses in agriculture and related areas.
In 1990 the AUW joined the TEMPUS programme in collaboration with other Polish and EU universities. In the years 1999 and 2000 the AUW became a partner institution in 3 networks within the framework of the CEEPUS programme.
Research projects carried out at the AUW are financially supported by the Polish Committee for Scientific Research (KBN), industry, local government and international foundations. The results obtained in these projects are published in scientific journals in Poland and abroad. A number of international conferences are held at the AUW every year. Many researchers are members of prestigious international organisations.
The AUW possesses over 100 facilities, including a modern sports centre. The AUW provides accommodation in student houses for 1800 students (90 per cent of non-Wroc³aw residents).
Every year, about 100 research projects financed from grants and ca. 100 commissioned projects are carried out. The results are published in as many as 2000 publications, a fifth of them in international journals. The AUW is an organiser of international congresses and scientific conferences.
The Agricultural University of Wroc³aw has signed bilateral agreements with 52 universities in different parts of the world. The AUW participates in the Socrates/Erasmus, CEEPUS, Leonardo da Vinci, COST and 5th and 6th EU Framework programmes.